Monday, July 12, 2010

Travel Day July 10, 2010

The day started early for me since I had a 615 am  flight out of Oklahoma City to Memphis and then onto Ames, Iowa. As I was flying to Memphis I was going through all of the material that I have received from Team Captain Mike Teem. As I am reading through all of the information that filled the one inch binder that I had placed it all into, the song “Little Wonders” by Rob Thomas came on my IPod. This song truly fits the journey that I am about to embark on. In one portion of the song I believe he truly sums up how I feel about my upcoming trip....
Our lives are made
In these small hours 
These little wonders
These twists and turns of fate 
Time falls away,
But these small hours
These small hours 
Still remain
Our lives are made of small hours combined into series of hours that form into days, weeks, months and years. But what we do with each minute, hour, day, weeks, months and years makes us who we are. We can not change the past but we can affect the future and how we look back on our life with the decisions that we make as well as the actions we take. These twists and turns of fate will truly occur over the next week. Friendships will be made that will last over a lifetime and we all will grow form this amazing experience together. 
Each of the runners wether they are officers or an athlete will make at least one presentation during one of the more than seventy stops as the LETR crosses Nebraska spreading the movement of Special Olympics and the LETR. During that presentation each person will highlight how it is and why they are involved in  Special Olympics. I have given all of the runners on my team guidance on a direction they may want to go with their speech but I feel the best ones will come from the heart. Everyone on this trip has the heart and the flame that burns inside them that Eunice Kennedy Shriver possessed. We will carry her memory everywhere we go this next week with the “EKS+ PlayON” logo on all of our uniforms just above our hearts. 
When I arrived in Memphis I caught up with Roy Forrest from North Carolina and Bill Buford from Arkansas. They are also run team leaders for the Final Leg and gave me some good friendly advice as a run team leader. We were joined on our flight to Ames by Charles Sutherlin from Alabama and Joe Saxon from Mississippi. Upon our arrival at the airport we were greeted by several of the support staff before traveling to the Hotel in Ames, Iowa. I can already tell this is going to be an amazing trip.....

No comments:

Post a Comment