Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The phone call

       Have you ever had one of those days that one event or little five minute span just sends you to cloud nine?? I had one of those days on May 12, 2010 and don't think I have come down yet. I was in Stillwater, Oklahoma for our Special Olympics Summer games. Myself and another officer from my department (rob high) had volunteered three days to be photographers for our state games. We were at the YMCA taking pictures of the swimming events when my phone rang. I saw that it was Mike Teem, who is the team leader for the final legs as well as on the international committee for LETR. We began chatting about his recent retirement and then I sensed that this was more than about his recent retirement.  Mike began saying some things to me that made me grin i am sure from ear to ear and then asked me to be a run team leader for the Final Leg to the Special Olympics National Games in Lincoln, Nebraska. Of course I said yes, knowing what a big honor and responsibility this is.  I don't think my feet touched the ground as I walked back into the pool area of the Stillwater YMCA. As soon as I entered the pool I was greeted by Ellen Paynter, who is Christopher Paynter's mom. Chris for those of you who do not know him is an unbelievable man and friend, he is a Torch Runner as well as a Special Olympics Oklahoma Athlete . Ellen looks at me and asked if everything was okay and I told her about the phone call. She immediately gave me the biggest hug and we both were teary eyed. Ellen knows what the Final Leg is all about. I was able to share the amazing experience of the 2009 Final Leg with Chris as he was one of the nine athletes from all over the world who was chosen to lead the 85 officers from all over the world across Idaho carrying the "Special Olympics flame of hope." To get the phone call from Mike Teem and then to walk into that swimming pool area to share it with Ellen was amazing especially with how much her family means to me.
       I was selected to represent Oklahoma at the 2009 Special Olympics World Winter Games Final Leg in Idaho, USA. This trip was a trip of a lifetime, I refer to Idaho as "majestic." I say that because I did witness not one thing but several things that were "Simply Majestic." The bonds and friendships that I formed during that eleven day trip, running over 68 "Idaho Miles," and seeing our athletes as well as officers lives changed for ever was just truly unbelievable. Chris and I traveled across country together and then were placed on separate teams so that we could share this experience with others. Chris was pared up with Jack Harris who is a Chief of Police in Vermont and I my roommate was Aaron Araseth an athlete from Medford, Oregon. Aaron and I have formed a bond that is indescribable, he is the little brother I never had. We have seen each other twice since Idaho. Aaron is an amazing man that there is no limit for. Every time I see him and talk to him on the phone he has grown that much more. 
        The Final leg is one of those things in life that is just hard to explain unless you have experienced it. It lights a fire deep inside you and for those who have ever been it changes your life for the better for ever as well as changing those around you.  I hope you enjoy reading this blog as much as I do writing it. I hope this blog helps spread the word about the global movement of Special Olympics and the Law Enforcement Torch Run.

2 comments:

  1. Shawn, You are a good man with a great heart. I am excited for you to be honored as a Run Team Leader for the Final Leg of the torch run. Thanks for including me as recipient of your blog. I look forward to following you every "step" of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, Shawn, you share from your heart! What a great friend to Special Olympics Oklahoma you are. I'm not at all surprised that Mike Teem called you and asked you to be a Team Leader. May God go with you on yet again another magnificent journey. Your light shines so brightly.

    ReplyDelete